Trial Lawyer Maureen Currie
Ms. Currie is known for her advocacy, strength and experience in the Courtroom.
Lawyer Maureen Currie has represented individuals and corporations in ground breaking and high profile cases since her call to the bar in 1988. She is widely experienced in Criminal Law, Inquests, Royal Commissions and Civil Litigation.
Maureen Currie is regularly consulted and retained when a person, accused of a criminal matter, requires an experienced criminal defense counsel. Where possible, she will strive to resolve charges through negotiation— without the necessity of a time-consuming and costly trial but where resolution is not possible.
We Will Fight For You
Fighting for your legal rights since 1988. Representing individuals & corporations in ground breaking and high profile cases.
• Over 30 Years of Experience
• Five Star Rated Attorney
• Thousands of Courtroom Hours
• Practice restricted to criminal law
• Former prosecutor in Crown Attorney’s office
Years of Experience
A Highly Experienced Lawyer
Maureen Currie obtained her LL.B. in 1986 and has been representing litigants in a broad range of ground breaking cases since her call to the bar.
After practicing as a partner in a large litigation firm downtown Toronto for 18 years, Ms. Currie moved her practice to Oakville where she now serves the South Western Ontario Region. Maureen Currie is regularly consulted and retained as counsel for complex CRIMINAL AND civil litigation cases and is capable of assisting you in pursuing or defending a range of cases, including fraud, employment issues and general civil litigation. Where possible, she will strive to resolve your conflict through negotiation, mediation or arbitration — without the necessity of a time-consuming and costly trial.
Ms. Currie is known for her advocacy, strength and experience in the Courtroom and the advice she renders to clients to avoid costly courtroom battles. She has been an instructor at York University, Osgood Law School where she has taught both lawyers and law students trial advocacy and courtroom skills. She has also been engaged as an instructor at the Canadian Intensive Trial Advocacy Course which is a yearly course for trial lawyers that want to improve their litigation skills. She has successfully represented clients in a comprehensive range of criminal & litigation issues.
A Sample of Maureen Currie’s Experience & Law Background Includes:
- Representation of Youths and Adults charged with indictable and summary offences throughout Ontario.
- Co-counsel for the Canadian Red Cross during the Krever Royal Commission which examined the safety of the Blood System in Canada during the AIDS crisis and evaluated the Red Cross' actions during that time. The Canadian Red Cross was subject to scrutiny and criticism with respect to its role in the distribution and collection of tainted blood. Subsequently, the senior individuals involved faced serious criminal charges laid against these decision makers. These charges were eventually successfully dropped.
- Appointed by the Honourable former Court of Appeal Justice Kaufman to be his Associate Counsel in the Morin Inquiry, which examined the conviction of Guy Paul Morin, who had been wrongfully convicted of the murder of his young neighbour, Christine Jessop. The work in these proceedings involved a detailed analysis of the criminal justice system culminating in a report that has had far reaching impact on issues, practices and proceedings governing criminal law.
- Representation of the family of a teenager, Reilly Anzovino, in a Coroner’s Inquest which delved into whether the actions of paramedics and the closure of hospital emergency rooms caused or contributed to her tragic death. News Story Link: » Niagara at Large »
- Represented the CAS in the Jeffrey Baldwin Inquest examining the murder by neglect and starvation of a young child who lived in the home of his grandparents.
- Co-counsel to RJR Tobacco in a constitutional challenge which made its way to the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Represented various physicians in several cases to defend them in circumstances surrounding the death of their patients who died while in custody;
- Represented a psychiatrist in an Inquest delving into the death of a young boy death from neuroleptic malignant syndrome and whether the provision of psychiatric medication resulted in his death
- Represented a party examining the circumstances of a child dying by strangulation while in a car seat
- Represented Emergency Room physicians following the death of a patient who died of exposure following his release from the hospital
- Represented a party in the Torehi Inquest involving the shooting of a man (who had just murdered his wife) by police
What Our Clients Say
Dedicated, hardworking, understanding, helpful, passionate and knowledgeable are a few words that come to mind when describing what an amazing lawyer Ms. Currie is. She has done a remarkable job in helping me resolve my situation.