Inquests, Board Hearings, Inquiries and Royal Commissions
Maureen Currie provides the strength of experienced representation for clients involved in what in law is referred to as "administrative hearings". Many actions today are increasingly under the regulation and control of professional boards, agencies, the government and tribunals. Ms. Currie's vast administrative experience includes appearing on behalf of individuals, companies, and agencies when they are facing serious and complex issues arising in the context of administrative law - including Inquests, disciplinary proceedings for professionals before their Colleges, Inquiries and Royal Commissions.
A sample of Lawyer Maureen Currie’s administrative law experience includes:
- She was co-counsel for the Canadian Red Cross during the Krever Royal Commission which examined the safety of the Blood System in Canada during the AIDS crisis and evaluated the Red Cross' actions during that time
- She was chosen by the Honourable former Court of Appeal Justice Kaufman to be his associate counsel in the Morin Inquiry, which examined the underpinnings of the wrongful conviction of Guy Paul Morin, who was charged and wrongfully convicted of the rape and murder of a young girl. The results of this Inquiry resulted in dramatic change to what is allowed to happen in criminal law proceedings
- She represented the family of a teenager, Reilly Anzovino, in a Coroner’s Inquest which delved into whether the actions of paramedics and the closure of hospital emergency rooms caused or contributed to her tragic death. See
- She represented the CAS in the Jeffrey Baldwin Inquest examining the murder by neglect and starvation of a young child who lived in the home of his grandparents.
- She has represented physicians in Inquests to defend them in circumstances surrounding the death of their patients/inmates who have died while in custody,
- She represented a psychiatrist in an Inquest delving into the death of a young boy death from neuroleptic malignant syndrome and whether the provision of psychiatric medication resulted in his death
- She represented a group home in an Inquest where a youth died while in care
- She represented a party in an Inquest examining the circumstances of a child dying as a result of strangulation while in a car seat
- She represented Emergency Room physicians following the death of a patient who died of exposure following his release from the hospital
- She represented a party in the Torehi Inquest involving the shooting of a by the police of a man who had just murdered his wife
In the areas of Administrative Law we provide individualized service to clients when they are facing serious and complex issues requiring:
- Representation In Inquests and Inquiries
- Representation for Professional Discipline Matters
- Representation in Mental Health proceedings and Boards
- Representation at hearings, boards and tribunals
- Advice on matters of procedure
For a consultation with our administration lawyer please call 905-847-2826.